Saturday, March 22, 2014

Lavender Robe a la Francaise

I made this lavender robe a la francaise in early 2014 to be worn to the Third Annual Francaise Dinner put on by my unofficial costuming group, The Fabulosity Club. I was also hoping to wear it at the masquerade ball at the American Society for Eighteenth Century Studies conference, but sadly was unable to attend. BUT I had the most wonderful time at the Francaise dinner and am very happy with my new robe a la francaise. There are still a couple of things I want to fix and futz with, but overall it's one of my favorite costumes to date. I also wore it with my brand new wig, which sported blue ocean waves (made of feathers) and a model ship, the HMS Surprise. It was my first time styling a hairpiece of any kind (I have enough hair to do most styles just on its own!) and now that I'm more familiar with the process I'm going for an even bigger ship the next time around.












The HMS Surprise found a battle to join!

Attack!!

A somewhat decent hair selfie.

And for the after hours........

You don't wear a ship on your head when you're going to sleep?

Halfway through taking my hair down.
I am also officially making this my entry for Demode's 18th Century Court Dress Challenge. No, my dress is not actually a robe de cour and therefore not technically a court dress. Neither is it the court dress I originally claimed. While I still fully intend to make that fantastic dress, a lack of funds and a move halfway across the country to start a new job and new life got in my way this time. But I'd like to have something to show for the challenge, so I submit this dress with the hopes that my original plans can be fulfilled next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment