I used the yellow stripes in the pattern as a guide for making my pleats. As you can see from the bodice, there is quite a bit of space between each yellow stripe. Three full widths of fabric are pleated into the skirt.
The skirt sewn to the bodice as well as the bodice back. I worked really hard to get that pattern matching perfect!
The skirt draped up into the swags that transform this gown from a Robe a l'Anglaise to a Robe a l'Anglaise Retroussée.
I also made a new pink Gainsborough hat to go with the dress. I was in a crunch for time finishing it for the Tea (of course I was) so I still consider it unfinished and would like to fix a few things and add some more trim. But it was wearable for the event!
The most exciting part of the hat is the fabric. I found it on the remnants table of a local luxury fabric store. The warp threads are white silk and the weft threads alternate between purple silk and metal-wrapped threads. Not little shiney strips of plastic but actual metal strips wrapped around a thread core, just like what was used centuries ago. I nearly died when I saw it!
|Extreme close-up of the amazing fabric I found.|
|Finishing the hat.......|
|Look, I made a hat!|
|I made a little cockade for the side of the hat that usually gets swallowed by all the feathers.|
And here are some photos of the finished outfit!
It's not me playing dress up if I don't take a few silly pictures too!
That time Carolyn's Big-Ass Hat ate my Big-Ass Hat.
One final bonus shot-- my stripey Robe a l'Anglaise Retroussée as a last-minute Halloween costume!
|I think I really nailed the whole smokey-eyed look.|